Surrey Docks Farm Cafe
As most of our supporters will know, we’ve been without a cafe this year. We’ve greatly missed the warm friendly space for our visitors and the much needed rental income which contributes to the Farm’s running costs.
The good news is we have found some wonderful tenants to take on the cafe at the Farm. They will provide a welcoming space serving drinks, tasty cakes and delicious meals.
However before the cafe is back in action the tenants will need to invest and install a kitchen and we need to carry out a significant upgrade to our electrics. We need to bring a new three-phase line into the Farm to meet a modern kitchen’s needs and to keep up with the demand of our growing Farm projects.
We’ve now had quotes for this essential work from UK Power Network who will bring a supply to our boundary and from an electrician who will connect this new supply to the Farm’s Segal building and cafe.
The total cost for this work will be £32,000.
This is not something we have budgeted for, nor do we have enough reserves to cover this, so we urgently need your help to raise enough money to complete this work and bring back a Farm cafe.
While we have been so lucky to receive grant funding to carry out our Riverfront Development, the ongoing running costs of the Farm keep increasing and without cafe rent and no room hire during the building upgrade, we’re already facing a loss this financial year. It’s imperative we get a cafe back on site for our visitors benefit and the financial stability of the Farm!
Surrey Docks Farm has been engaging the local community for over 44 years. The Farm is free to enter and open seven days a week. We bring a slice of the countryside to central London, welcoming over 50,000 people every year to learn about farming and food production and to get outdoors. We also deliver a range of educational and social action projects engaging young people, older people, asylum seekers, young offenders, adults with learning disabilities and many more! For a detailed overview of our work please read our 2018-19 Annual Report.
We will be calling on all our supporters to help us hit this huge target and really value any thing you can give. Every penny really will count to help us hit our target.
If you’re a local business and would be able to help with sponsorship, we’d love to hear from you, please drop Gemma our Manager an email to discuss further!
We’ll keep you up to date on how much money is coming in here:
- 21st January 2020 – We’ve had a sudden flurry of donations and have now reached £5,000 thanks to 150 people and BCLP Law firm. Plus the sun is shining today! Thanks very much to everyone who has shown their support.
- 19th January 2020 – Donations have kept coming in and we’ve now raised £4,510.35 – thank you all!
- 28th December 2019 – Thank you to everyone who has kept on donating towards our campaign. With the help of 118 individuals and one corporate organisation donation we’ve now raised £4,102!
- 4th December 2019 – We’re excited to announce that we’ve been given a £1,000 donation from BCLP Law! This company has supported us by attending corporate volunteer days in the summer for many years and when we reached out to them for support with this campaign, they’ve generously responded! Huge thanks to all at BCLP Law. This takes our total to date to an incredible £3,556 thanks to the support of 107 amazing donors!
- 1st December 2019 – We’ve hit £2,500 thanks to 104 supporters! Many thanks to all of you!
- 19th November 2019 – Grand total comes to £1,600. Thank you all for showing such generosity and support. Keep sharing the link to this page!
- 16th November 2019 – We’ve now reached £1,000 thanks to 51 generous people who have donated. We are so grateful! Please keep sharing this webpage, telling your friends and work-place and help us hit this huge target.
- 14th November 2019 – Our supporters are amazing, we’ve raised £580 by 8pm on the first day our page went live. Thank you to everyone who has donated!