Surrey Docks Farm’s Riverfront Development
Surrey Docks Farm has an exciting new development underway!
Surrey Docks Farm has started work on Phase 1 of its Riverfront Development, thanks to funding allocated by Southwark Council from levies on local developments. By the end of the year we will be offering a range of new and enhanced community facilities with stunning riverfront views looking across to Canary Wharf, providing new activity spaces, lettable rooms and outdoor areas all year round.
Southwark Council have granted Surrey Docks Farm a new 35 year lease at a charitable rent so that these new education and community resources are secured for the long term and the Farm can enhance and develop our special offers for residents.
As the borough’s only city farm, with our gates open seven days a week and free entrance, we will provide its 50,000 visitors a year with an enhanced visitor experience and renewed opportunities to learn about and engage with all aspects of a working farm.
The Farm’s impact as an education charity will be strengthened. The Farm’s role promoting green initiatives and sustainable practices and their increasing importance both for the present and for future generations will be further developed through our schools’ programmes and youth clubs. So too will our contribution towards health and well-being, through increasing the sessions run for all ages out in the open, growing and cooking with fresh produce and gaining the benefits of healthy eating and healthy lifestyles. The Farm will also contribute to Southwark being an Age Friendly borough with further opportunities for older and inter-generational projects.
Restoring the Tower
Following an arson attack over 10 years ago the tower has remained as a burnt-out shell. The plans will enable this space to become a functional asset to the Farm for the future.
The new three floors will enable:
- Farm Kitchen: Accessible ground floor community cooking space to upgrade our current offer to adults with learning disabilities, provide a kitchen big enough for group workshops for all ages and abilities to cook using produce grown right here on the Farm.
- Farm Office: At last a dedicated office space for the Farm team to be based.
- Community Room: Calm, therapeutic, multi-functional community space on the top floor, with exceptional river views. Perfect for art and craft workshops or for an unusual meeting space.
Creating a new River Room with Orangery Extension
- State of the art, flexible, multi-functional space with new floor, heating and lighting
- Enlarged windows facing the the river, highlighting the exceptional docklands views
- New glass orangery extension allowing for a multi-use space in addition to the river room
- Fully equipped for school classes to carry out workshops
- Clear open accessible space for community groups
- First rate meeting facility with projector, pull down screen & black-out facilities
Opening the Farm’s River Frontage & Enabling Evening Use
To complete the development, the Farm is currently fundraising for Phase 2 to open up its river frontage in its unique setting by the Thames. Developing the riverfront area will enable the Farm to offer a unique community space for sitting out socialising, community events and greater income generation opportunities to help sustain the Farm’s future.
- Relocating our main entrance to the North gate on the Thames Path, making for a safer shared access space entrance
- Creating one wide central access path leading from the Thames Path directly to the farmyard
- Developing a new area directly outside the River Room, allowing for a mixed use patio, outdoor seating and growing space
- Ensuring a fully accessible entrance and pathway into the Farm (with no more cobbles!)